Tuesday, October 9, 2012

LHM Sounds Off: "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

     We all know the song, right? We all know pretty much every word, and we all know that Deep Blue Something never had another hit, not one. I wonder what their concert's would be like. I once had hope for this band, being that I loved the guy's voice and wanted badly for them to have another song to make me want to sing along to, so I bought the album (don't waste your time...puke). Yeah, it sucked. Sorry, but not sorry.
     So why am I writing a blog entry in 2012 about a song from 1995? What am I trying to do? Make you relive the 90's, make you want to turn it on, make you think I'm cool as hell that I listened to the other unknown songs from a one hit wonder? Nah (but I am pretty cool), I want to bring this song into this world's manufactured green screened light to make you understand how a song based off of something so simple can become a phenomenon, and hopefully make you see that THIS can still happen. I have so much hope for music, still, even after writing a paper for my college English class comparing 1960 to 2009, in which I introduced the topic with my rage in knowing that the number one song in AMERICA was entitled "Boom Boom Pow". ANYHOOOO, let me show you what I am talking about.

     Haven't we all been in this guys shoes? That desperation, those feeble attempts to make something work, when your closing your hand so tightly around something but you know that there is a crack or a hole in there somewhere that what you are grabbing onto is going to slip through. I know I have, and that's what this song is about. I heard it on the radio today, and I stopped singing along so that I could really listen to the pain and the words, and again....that desperation.

     He opens the song with a dialogue. She's telling him that there's nothing, no common ground. Why ARE we together? What is happening here? He retaliates (in his own head, presumably) that she just doesn't give a shit. Let's be honest here, right? She doesn't care. Because if you DO love someone, you create common ground and anything else, anything that isn't "in common" melts away, or it blends, and it becomes something you learn from the other person. I currently am dating a sports fanatic. I'm not. Not one bit. I enjoy watching a baseball game but I won't pretend to understand what's happening any further than one, two, three strikes you're out at the old ball game. You know. 

    So he grabs at the quickest thing he can find. Well hey WAIT, remember that movie we watched? We both loved it (I'm sorry, no, they both "kinda liked it") so isn't that enough? No, it's not. Not when someone has detached themselves from you. Like this bitch has. Maybe she's not a bitch, maybe this guy wasn't any fun, maybe he only cared about his music, maybe he never held the door open for her, who the hell knows. One thing he does know, this miniscule past memory that they held in common is his last attempt, perhaps the only attempt, and it isn't going to work. And even after this MIND BLOWING BEG, she is still seeing right past it. Poor thing...he really hates when things are over.

     And repeat. Right? That's it! THAT, my friend, is the song that was number 5 in 1996 in the US and number 1 in the UK. It's unbelievable isn't it? And it's funny how we are all so quick to cast aside (myself included) modern music in which the artist talks about things that are just ridiculous, things that don't make sense, things that are flat out STUPID, when songs like this have made us bob our heads and sing in the shower for the past almost TWENTY years. Dang. It is reminiscent of an old song you might know by The Beatles entitled "Come Together". That song made no sense. But we love it, don't we?

     The reason for this post was that I heard this song, knowing that I personally enjoy it, and realized what a hypocrite I can be regarding music. Sometimes, the simplest things can mean the most, and I know that I write off songs that I think are dumb just because I don't understand it. I want to change that. I am not going to love every song that I hear, but I know I need to put myself into that world. Knowing that the things most unseen, are the most powerful. 

     Have a good evening everyone. And if you know of any songs like this, simple yet clear emotion, let me know, I'd love to check it out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment