Friday, October 12, 2012

LHM Sounds Off: Jason Derulo

     You know who he is right? R & B singer with a smooth voice and lyrics that makes girls swoon. Personally, I am not a top 40 chick. I find some stuff that I enjoy, but this particular genre is not one I usually see myself playing while I'm cruising. Enter Mr. Derulo.

     I remember going downtown for a girls weekend a couple years ago, having a night out, fresh off a breakup, clubbing and spending the night at a sweet hotel. Here was my first taste of Jason Derulo. I didn't know who sang the song at the time, but it was "Ridin' Solo" and I related with it. It started out kind of soft and sappy, then he breaks into a chorus of lines about being single, and being okay, and going out, and having fun. I loved it, danced my ass off at the club, and soon forgot the song existed (that happens a lot when I find myself loving a song on the charts, unless I fall totally in love and the band/singers whole album is promptly loaded onto my ipod).

     Some time later, I hear a song that samples a BEAUTIFUL song by Imogen Heap. Heap's song was called "Hide & Seek" and is probably one of the most wonderful, painful, brilliant songs ever written, and hearing it put into hip hop made me wince a little bit. I might have enjoyed this new song, if I didn't know the original. The original song (check out the haunting video here.)was about a woman realizing the man she loves had a whole other life, with a wife and children, and the pain of realizing she has essentially ruined a life that had been so still for so long. So, hearing it with so much autotune and silliness made me a little irritated.

     Then, about a year ago, a local band that I follow heavily (7th Heaven) played a song I had heard on the radio several times, entitled "In My Head". I, again, didn't know who sang it, and didn't care, just thought it was the most fun song ever to jump around to at the show. Follow along now, at this point, I still never knew who sang "Riding Solo" or "Whatcha Say" and don't know who sings this "In My Head" song, and really only know the lyrics from going to a zillion 7H shows.

     Continuing on (you better be paying attention!!!!),  several months ago, I hear "It Girl" on the radio, and instantly find myself tapping the foot that isn't on the gas pedal. Why? I really don't know. It sort of negates what I'm normally into, but like I have stated previously, I give everything a shot. I automatically entered it into my youtube queue that I listen to while driving, and I listen to it occasionally now. At THIS point, I hear that the singer of the song's name is Jason Derulo. I still don't know that he sings the songs I have had experiences with before, but I know I have heard his name, just couldn't tell you what else he sings.

     A few days ago, I was watching X-Factor, and I hear a song playing in the background of someones sob story that makes my ears perk a little bit. I liked it, it evoked some weird emotion in me that I enjoyed. SO, I googled the lyrics (yup, I'm that girl, and proud), and find that it's the same singer as "It Girl". I instantly realized, hey, I think I like this guy, and decided to google what else he sang.

    In comes the pouring of music I already knew, but never had a name for. Wow! I was pretty happy to have a new artist to like. Let me tell you something, most people probably already knew all of these songs and enjoy his music, but I really, really love it. I looked up some of his lesser known tracks and liked those too. And I also decided to look up the lyrics to "Whatcha Say". and as irked as I was to hear that song put into something so different, I found that it wasn't such a leap after all. He turned himself into the character that Imogen Heap had fallen in love with, and wrote the song from a different point of view. He didn't betray the songs meaning, but rather decided to give us a new way to see it. I respect that. I love motown, I love the smoothness of the Temptations and Stevie Wonder, and this guy has got it. He's suave but not cocky, he's sweet but not corny, and he has a beautiful voice.

     The point of this post is to tell you to be open with things, something that I am learning to do myself. You might find that even though you have been a metal fan your whole life, you will hear a country song that speaks to you. Or maybe you have always loved rap, but suddenly you discover The Eagles, and decide that they have a new way to express those emotions. Who knows? I am going to leave you with the song "What If" by Derulo that i heard on X-Factor. If you haven't heard it, give it a shot. I really love it <3



    

1 comment:

  1. beautifully written Liz, again!!! very successful also, cuz I'm sure about to listen to some of his music.. love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete